Saturday, October 07, 2006

Who am I?

On Thursday in chapel, the worship team sang a song that wasn't new to me. In fact, I used to listen to it so much before I came here. The song was "Who am I?" by the Casting Crowns. But this time, as the beginning notes rang through the air, I began to cry. Not the sobbing type, but the crying that opens the floodgates of your soul. I'd began a new form of worship the night before, where every word in the song, is a prayer to God. Not just a song, but a powerful prayer and soul song to the Creator.

Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt

Think about it. Even as I look at these words, my eyes fill up, because its so true. Who are we in comparison to God? We're nothing! Insignificant. Yet, God wants to know who we are. He wants to hold each of us nothings and take our hurt. Why would God love us so much?

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are

The bridge says it all. We can't explain exactly why God loves us so much, but we do know that we can't do anything to get his love. God doesnt care what we do, what we say, or who our friends are, He loves us because He created us.
What a powerful song. I never realised it either untill I began trying to get closer to God. Prayer is the most powerful form of worship, praise, and communication to God. Scot McKnight in his book "The Jesus Creed" defines prayer as a "Loving communicaition with God." When I discovered this, I began praying daily. I don't go a day without this loving communication with God. In fact, I refuse to fall asleep untill I've prayed at least for those on my prayer wall.
I encourage you that every time you are listening to worship music, in church, youth, or even helping out in kids ministry, Pray the song as you sing it. If it helps, don't sing it all. Focus on meaning every single word you "sing" to God. It will change your perspective.
If you're into reading, Scot McKnight's The Jesus Creed is great too. Not exactly the simplest read, or spoon fed. But it makes you think and realise about Jesus' ministry and what he asks of us. Its only $20. Or wait untill Christmas, and borrow it from me.

In Christ's Unconditional Love...

No comments: